Happy Mayday

 It's May first- Mayday. I think it used to be a day of celebration. I really should look it up before I start making comments about it, but I assume it was kind of like a celebration of spring or some such thing years ago. How something happy could have a totally different meaning is beyond me. If you  hear the words MAYDAY! on the radio, it's a sign that someone is in serious trouble and needs some help. It's something you hope to never hear while out on the boat and you certainly don't want to be the one who is declaring  a mayday. As per usual, I've taken a subject and run with it in a manner that I hadn't planned on, though frankly, I'm not sure what I'm writing about right now.
 It's cold and windy and spitting rain today, not at all what I would imagine May first to feel like, or at least not what I was hoping it would be like. While I'm grateful that we aren't experiencing tornadoes, snow, wildfires, floods or other severe weather phenomenon, I'd still kind of like a little spring-like sunshine. I'm sitting in my office with a blanket over my legs and my jacket on. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, or there is so much more of me in the middle section that the blood can't get to the extremities as easily, but I'm cold right now- and, I might add, a little depressed. I think so much of my attitude is this weather. Whine bitch, complain- and I'm not even out fishing!
 I was going to do a little blog on Plantar Fasciitis; it's a condition that leaves the bottom of your foot feeling like you've got something in your shoe all the time. I recently had a bout of it and had to go to the doctor and do exercises and and wear a doo-dad on my foot. It eventually went away. The other night when I was at work I thought it might be making another appearance, but I think that it was a stone in my shoe this time. I was thinking about the name, Plantar Fasciitis- it made me think of Planters Peanuts, which led to Peanut Foot. "Doc, I've got a bad case of Peanut Foot, what should I do?" "Stay away from salt and don't nibble on your toes." My mind goes on endless journeys when left without a purpose. That's one of the problems with mindless work. Then I started thinking about the Peanut Gallery. I don't have a memory of it, but my older brother said that the Peanut Gallery is where the little kids used to sit on the Howdy Doody show. You probably wouldn't be able to get away with a name like that on a kid's show now. Parents would be up in arms and there would be calls for boycotts and whatnot. The kids would have to get counseling for feelings of low self-esteem for being forced to sit in the Peanut Gallery.  I guess it's a good thing I never visited Ol Howdy- I'd be a real basket case right now.

Comments

  1. oh man that cracked me up...specially the part bout the plantar fasciitis...the doc's advice sounds very....sound...lol...too funny...love you dad...AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girls. I took this picture off the bridge on the way to Long Island. It was actually taken in the fall if I remember correctly. I've always thought that I should see a deer there in the grass,but never have. We saw a bear close by in the woods though. I tried to get a picture of it, but he wouldn't leave the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog, and funny as usual. I love the photo, you really do have some great photography...sooo... Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

Clear but Cold

The End of an Era