FIRE!

It seems that every day there is a new tragedy on the news- either the tsunami in Japan or the floods in the Midwest or tornadoes down south.  There is no place on earth exempt from some calamity or another. Though it won't make the national or even the state news we had our own disaster yesterday in the form of a fire. I was sitting down having a cup of coffee after lunch when Jan called to tell me that the Sportsman's Bed and Breakfast had flames coming out of the roof. The building is located just around the corner from my place and I'm surprised that I didn't notice the smoke right away.  I believe that the owners had just returned from Nebraska where they spend the winters and had lit the wood stove. I'm not sure what the cause of the blaze is exactly, you hear rumors, but I haven't heard anything definitive. I hate to see anyone lose their home and business. I'm not sure if the building can be salvaged or not, there was a lot of water poured on the fire and I'm sure it made it's way down to the lower floors. If anything good can come from this, I understand that the building was fully insured and the owners had moved their keepsakes back to Nebraska in anticipation of selling the business. They had previously retired from logging and were doing this as a side job. Fortunately no one was hurt and the fire didn't spread to any other buildings. Frankly, I hope we've seen the last of the trauma for awhile. As anyone in a small town knows, when tragedy strikes one family, everyone is affected. The loss of the Sportsman's will be felt by everyone in some way, but as with all loss, we'll help each other out and carry on.

Comments

  1. Tom,
    Do you know the name of the owners?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, fast camera Tom here...we need a new name for you like that dad! I like the blog, that's unfortunate about the place though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't belive you didn't even know it was on fire, not to far from your house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Todd, it was Dean and Pat Neilson. Did you know them? I never knew who they were until they moved to town and built the B and B.
    Hey Autumn, I wasn't sure it was proper to even take a picture, but I saw folks with their phones out shooting and I thought maybe people who are familiar with the town would like to see what I saw.
    Hi Camille, I failed to mention that I was drinking coffee AND kind of closing my eyes a little bit. I'm getting to be an old man, I need my rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, I figured there was more to the story then just drinking coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I"m sure that just about anything would be alright to get a picture of nowadays! Kid running around butt naked, "Oooh...wow..." every pulls out their cameras! Well...that might be considered illegal...but it would probably still happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...how did that go from coffee drinkin to burning homes to naked kids runnin around...Autumn...you sure some of Jen's scatter-brainess didn't wear off on you the last time you were there?? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

Clear but Cold

The End of an Era