That None Shall Perish



This sign is hanging on the wall in our church. I see it every Sunday, but much like looking at the scenery around me, I don't give it a lot of thought. I should though. It's a powerful message. I'm sorry that the picture didn't come out so good. Today was sunny and the light coming from the window was reflected on the poster. The scripture is 2 Peter 3:9-What it says on the poster is - The Lord is not willing that any should perish. The whole scripture,starting at 2 Peter 3:8 is- Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice. With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise, as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but for all to come to repentance. Thank God for his patience. If he were anything like me, the judgment would have come down mightily a long time ago, after I had been saved of course. I'm often amazed at myself, how judgmental I am, how very critical I can be of others. It's no wonder that so many people don't want to come to church.With jerks like me in the church, why would they? Fortunately, God is merciful and when I ask for forgiveness, he gives it.  As the very popular Christian author, Max Lucado mentions in one of his books, many people whom we look down upon would find a warmer welcome at the corner bar than in many churches. That's not to say that we should condone ungodly behavior. There is a very strong push in this country to say that any kind of behavior is acceptable, regardless of how offensive, rude or immoral it may be. In an effort to be politically correct many people have accepted ideas that they know aren't right. They don't want to be labeled as intolerant though, so they go along to get along. Somehow, as Christians we have to be able to separate the sin from the sinner. As the saying goes, God loves the sinner, but hates the sin. He's gone out of his way to draw us to him. The apostle Paul states in Romans 2:4- Do you show contempt for God's kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? If you're reading this post, and you haven't already committed your life to Christ, I hope that you'll consider what has been written. God is certainly long-suffering, and as He says in his word, He gets no pleasure in the death of the wicked. I've mentioned my favorite scripture in this blog before, and as it was relevant then, so it's relevant now. Jeremiah 29:11 states- " I know the plans I have for you" says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." The Lord is your biggest fan. He wants what is the very best for you. He loves you and wants you to spend eternity with Him. It's the best choice you could ever make. If you haven't already done so, I hope you'll choose life.

Comments

  1. This is such an excellent post, Tom. So much awful behavior is deemed acceptable these days, and we are labelled as intolerant when we disagree with it. I keep waiting for the pendulum to swing back, but I don't think it will. We will all stand before God some day, and I'm so grateful I've been forgiven, and that He continues to love me as I stumble through some days. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill, thanks for commenting. I fear that what you've mentioned is correct. However, we need to keep in mind that we're not wrestling with flesh and blood. It's a spiritual battle. Sure gets old though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

The End of an Era

Clear but Cold