The Library

 I decided to do a post on the library today. Actually I wanted to do it yesterday, but then the internet crapped the bed so to speak. I had actually planned on doing a post on some deer ribs that I barbequed, but my camera battery was in need of recharging. It was an equipment rebellion. BBQ ribs sound good, but they weren't. No offense to my son Brian, but they were ribs from a deer he shot last year. The boys always like to get these monster bucks with the big horns. They look impressive, but if you wait too long in the season, they literally stink. The buck I killed last year was shot before he really started seriously into the rut, so the meat was great. I gave away the ribs to an older couple up the street because I knew that they liked them, and I usually don't eat them. It's a lot of work to get the meat off of the bones so as a rule I don't deal with them. For some unknown reason we decided to hang on to the ribs from Brian's deer. I had other meat in the freezer, so I kept putting off cooking them. Well, they've been taking up space for the better part of a year, so I finally bit the bullet and cooked them. What a mistake! The smell of that gamey meat cooking permeated the whole house. It worked it's way into my clothing and for most the night I kept getting wiffs of it. Frankly, it was rather nauseating. After it was boiled, I had to cut off as much fat as I could, and let me tell you- that deer was fat! Deer fat isn't like beef fat. You could easily make candles or soap out of it. You have to be careful that you don't clog the sink with it when you go to clean out the pot. I finally put the ribs in BBQ sauce and took them out to the grill. It helped to grill them, but they still tasted gamey. Fortunately Jan ate the lions share of them. She likes  most anything with BBQ sauce on it. If times get too tough I'll experiment with some old socks- socks and sauce, mmm, mmm. Probably pretty filling and no doubt lots of fiber. Of course none of this has anything to do with the library, which is supposed to be what this post is about, but how entertaining is the library? It's a pretty serious place, filled with pretty serious people.It's kind of like a hospital. You don't go to the hospital to hang out with your friends; it's pretty much the same with the library. No one says,"hey Bob, I'll meet you at the library, maybe have a few beers, check out an atlas and possibly research the Dewey decimal system. It'll be fun!" No, usually going to the library is a solitary event. You don't need friends along to look at books-heck no. They'd just try to influence your decision. You might be there looking for a good murder mystery and they're trying to get you to check out a romance novel. Friends at the library could be distracting. You might want Robert Fulghum and they're trying to steer you to Danielle Steele. That's where I think a good shock device like an electric cattle prod would come in handy. I think every librarian should have one; then if someone is talking too loud or a kid is running up and down the isles, instead of saying SHHH! or wishing the parents would control their kid, a quick little zap and a call to the janitor to clean up afterwards and order is restored.An astute librarian would see the dilema of an unwanted suggestion from a friend and with a threatening look and a gaze towards the prod, she would be able to deter the offender and you could continue browsing the "new releases" shelf in peace.Our present librarian is Terri Budke- that's her in the bottom picture. I think she's just pretending to be looking at the computer- I suspect she's probably contemplating writing a grant to get a cattle prod.

Comments

  1. Wow... I remember it being a lot bigger. Mrs. Greenwald was the librarian when I was going to school there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was hilarious dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Todd- The picture only shows from the desk to the stairs- there's probably another fifteen feet that you don't see. Part of it could be because you've grown up more too. When I was a kid our back yard looked huge. When I grew up I was astounded- it looked like someone had put it in the dryer and it shrank. Chris G was an enormous help to me with the book. She's very computer savvy and just an overall intelligent gal. The fact that she was attractive and laughed at my jokes didn't hurt either.
    Glad you liked it Autumn. I'm never really sure what I'm going to write until I start doing it, then I'm as surprised as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That had me seriously laughing out loud! Holy cow I could smell that nasty deer cooking. Ewwww. Tell Terri I said hi, she does look rather serious sitting there. Tell her I said she was right about Fairbanks in the spring, it happened over night! Let me know how the socks turn out Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erika- So far I've been able to keep from grilling the socks.I'm hoping the economy will improve so I don't have to resort to that. Once you start grilling the socks, where does it end- underwear? No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha...wow...I am so far behind on posts..my goodness..but is always good on a night like this to have somethin amusing to read and catch up on....so Chris is no longer the librarian??? Dang..she's been there ...like...well..I think pretty much since I got there in 3rd grade....I understand all too well the gamey smeling deer meat...BLECH! If you're just after it for the horns, do us all a favor and feed the meat to your dog or somethin..cuz it's nastified by the time it's all cleaned ....ick! Anyways...sleepy time...love you guys...AJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I better try and find a recipe for deer antler soup. Let's have a looksee on google. brian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't lose hope in case you have some problems in your kitchen. It has the best recipes to offer! Gourmandia.com has everything especially French delicacies. This is the best site so far! If you’re looking for other recipes, it also has something you need. Gourmetrecipe.com has a wide variety of recipes from chocolates, milk, beef, chicken, fish and many more. If you want to learn more on about its history, nutrition and health tips, you can visit these sites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

Clear but Cold

The End of an Era