Be a Life Saver



   When I was in the navy, first stationed in Key West and then later in Charleston, I was always in need of money. Being an enlisted sailor at the time wasn't something you did if you desired a large salary.  I didn't join the navy to make money, I joined because I was number 52 in the draft and had no desire to walk through the swamps of Vietnam and get shot at. The navy seemed the lesser of two evils at the time. Anyway, because we were living on about $5,000.00  a year, and because getting a part time job to supplement my income wasn't really an option, I used to go to the local blood banks and sell blood, a pint at a time. These were private blood banks, not the Red Cross I should add.  They used to pay me a whopping $10.00 for each pint, and if I could have done it twice a week, I might have. As it was, it takes the body a little time to reproduce what was drained out, so I could only donate every six weeks; providing of course, that I was in port. I can't remember the name of the blood bank- I think it was John something or other-maybe John Dracula blood bank or some such thing. I guess it doesn't really matter.  In any event, Hoonah didn't have a blood bank, and I don't believe Juneau did either. I guess if they needed blood, they just called folks on their donor list and they came in. Anyway,  I was on my way to Walmart a few months back and noticed that there was a blood bank there on Seward- Meridian Highway. I decided to make an appointment and see if I was eligible to donate. As it turned out, I was. I'm sixty eight, and even though I take a few meds for thyroid and blood pressure issues, I still qualified. For the first time in over 44 years I was able to donate blood.  I'm not a doctor, nor do I have a medical degree of any kind. I did take a Red Cross first aid course years ago, and if you needed CPR or were choking, I might be able to perform the Heimlich maneuver on you, but other than that you might just die if you were counting on me. However, if you were in a car accident or were undergoing an operation, I might just be able to save your life with the gift of my blood. Funny thing about blood, when it's in that little plastic bag that they store it in, you don't know who it came from. Perhaps someone with a liberal point of view will receive blood from a conservative, or vice-a-versa. It doesn't matter if you're Black, White, Hispanic, Native American or Asian, the blood all looks the same. You don't get to dictate who gets your blood, unless you choose to store your own blood for a future operation. So, the cop who donates could save the life of a protester who was rioting outside his precinct. I'm sure stranger things have happened. You might save someone's grandpa, or their infant daughter with your donation. Like some of my other posts, I did a little research on blood. First up- you can't live without it. I discovered that the white and red cells as well as the platelets are all produced in the bone marrow. I did not know that. I  visited  a web site titled Science Questions With Surprising Answers and discovered that blood is green. It shows red because that's the color of light that is reflected, so all those science fiction movies where the alien is shot and bleeds green may have some fact behind them. Apparently red blood cells typically live about 120 days, platelets live 6 days, and white cells may live less than a day, but some live longer. There are basically four blood types- A, B, AB, and O, with O being the most common. According to one article certain blood types are unique to specific ethnic or racial groups and have blood diseases specific to those groups, such as sickle cell diseases. Type O negative blood can be used in transfusions for any blood type. Several of my kids are part of the 7% of the population that has type O negative blood, whereas, I'm part of the 37% that has O positive blood.  One study mentioned that 45% of Whites, 51% of African American's, 57% of Hispanics and 39% of Asians have type O blood. There are nearly 21 million blood transfusions each year in this country. That means a whole lot of people need to step up and donate. You don't know when it might be you or a family member or dear friend who is in need. I received a notice from the Blood Bank of Alaska that stated that 62% of Alaskans are not eligible to donate. 36% are eligible but don't donate. Only 2% are active donors. In a few weeks I'll be eligible to donate again. If I remain healthy I can donate until I'm 70 or 72, I can't remember which. I'm hoping that they'll take my blood as long as I'm healthy. Who knows, they may find out the blood of a ninety year old man is as good as a man twenty five who is fat, balding and weak. I do hope you'll consider donating blood if you can. As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

The End of an Era

Clear but Cold