It's Time to Shine




 For reasons unknown, it seems that much of the time that the television is on in our house, it's tuned in to the news. I don't know if it's because misery loves company and we like to feel like our lives are certainly no worse and in many cases better than other peoples or if we just like to stay informed . As you know,almost all news is focused on the current tragedy of the day. We can tune in twenty four hours and be unnerved by what is happening in the world. Usually on the major media outlets there is a feel good story at the end of the program to try and soften all the lousy stuff they've thrown at you for the previous twenty five minutes. Personally I'd like to see a national news program that  only delivered the news of all the good things that have happened in the world. I guess that wouldn't really be news though. We all experience good things;breathing, eating, walking, talking. We just don't think about them. They aren't news to us, it's just stuff we do. Lately though with the onset of Covid 19, the every day things that we've been used to are becoming a challenge, at least for some. There's been an ongoing daily report of how many lives have been lost and how many new cases of the virus there are. It's pretty scary if that's all you listen to, but there have been a number of stories also of those who have been putting themselves on the front line to help others, from doctors and nurses to the EMS crews and policemen. Look at how many people are stepping up to the plate to help their neighbors in food banks, volunteering, donating food or money, delivering care packages. There are a number of private individuals as well as corporations who are gearing up to make masks and protective equipment for those on the front lines. It's encouraging for me to see those actions from these people. I applaud them all and I need to join them in whatever way I can to help. I can't sew, but I can donate. My children are grown up and gone and my house is paid off, so I don't have to face the uncertainty of an unpaid mortgage or providing for my family. I've been blessed, so I can be a blessing. In the book of Matthew 5:16 Jesus said "Let your life so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father." It's not enough to say "we're all in this together." or "we'll get through this." I know we will, but how and when we get through it depends in part, I believe, on all of us doing our part. It's time to shine, especially those of us who believe in Jesus. There are a number of worthwhile organizations who are on the front lines who are assisting those in need. Samaritans Purse, the Salvation Army, Feeding America and all of our local food banks  are being stretched thin. I hope that you'll prayerfully consider donating to those who are helping so many in need. If you can't donate time or money, something all of us can do is pray. I watched Dr. Charles Stanley today on In Touch Ministries speaking about prayer. One thing that he mentioned that stood out to me is that praying to God is like a triangle. When we are praying for someone, the prayer goes to God and then is directed to the person. We can change peoples lives with sincere prayer. In my own life I've seen it in action. Yesterday I heard from my daughter that my granddaughter was in a car accident involving a semi-truck. Usually such an accident can be fatal. She came out of it without serious injury. A friend in New York state where so much corona virus has been, delivered a baby a day before she would have been quarantined in the hospital. She and the baby are fine. I personally survived an airplane accident in February of 2000 that landed me and two others in the frigid waters of Lynn Canal. Believe me, prayer works. When this passes, and it will, we will all look back on how we reacted to this virus, whether in fear and trembling or with faith and good works. I hope you shine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

The End of an Era

Clear but Cold