BEAR CREEK WINERY







 I mentioned in my last post that I would write a little more about our trip down to Homer. It was really a fun trip, although we weren't there all that long. One of the highlights was dropping in to the Bear Creek Winery. Though I guess you could go there and whine if you want to, something that I'm very good at, it's an even better place to go if you want to try some local wine.

Honestly, I'm not a big drinker of wine. It always looks so good, and it's made from fruit, which I like a lot, but the flavor isn't enough to make me want to go out and buy bottles of the stuff usually. However, there are exceptions to every rule, and for whatever reason, the wine that I tried at Bear Creek Winery was rather appealing.

Before we went inside, we took a little trip around the gardens. Because it was September, most of the flowers had gone by the wayside, although there were still a few blooming, and the grounds were beautiful. I imagine if you decided to tour the area after a little wine tasting things might have looked even better, or perhaps you would have had to find a bench to park your carcass on and take a nap, I guess it would depend on how much tasting you did. 

My daughter Autumn wanted her mom to try some of the different wines available, maybe so she'd have a drinking partner when they get together. I, of course, stood off to the side and only reluctantly imbibed. For the low, low price of $5.00 USD, the lady behind the counter produced a paper with a long list of available wines. You were allowed to choose eight different ones to sample. I can't remember what all was available, but they all sounded OK. I did try one that Jan liked, I think it was blackberry or black raspberry or some such thing. It was pretty tasty, and I could see how people could develop a taste for wine. The prices were really reasonable and we ended up buying a bottle to share with our neighbors. I wonder if you could plop down an extra five bucks and try sixteen wines. Maybe lay a twenty on the counter and ask for the works. They do have rooms for rent, perhaps in case their guests try a little too much vino.

I didn't think about it until after the fact, but I think if you're a wine snob, you're supposed to swirl the wine around in a glass, sniff it, swish it around in your mouth and then spit it out. It's kind of hard to get a buzz that way I would think. Fortunately we're not snobs, wine or otherwise.

I just had a thought. Back in biblical times, they used goat skins to store their wine in. Goats stink, especially Billy goats. How would you be able to drink wine out of them? Can you imagine sniffing the wine after it came from a goat? It would be like sniffing a fart sack. How good was the wine after it sat around in a goat skin for awhile? Guess I'll never know. Back to the winery.

In one corner, there was a shelf with a bunch of bottles of wine that had won the winery awards. It was pretty impressive.  I enjoyed looking at all the various bottles. I should invest in a bottle making factory. With the popularity of wine, I would think it would be a win -win situation. Overall, the whole experience was pleasant and when we visit Homer again we'll be sure to drop in.

Comments

  1. Love the pics of you and Jan. Looks like you had a nice time in Homer. Jim and I have gone to Door County, WI, where there are quite a few wineries, and we did some tastings, too. I do love a good glass of sweet German wine, but I'm no snob - Aldi carries a very nice Moscato for $2.89! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,
    We had so much fun on that trip. The weather was great and the town was so interesting. It was just a wonderful time. I think we may have to make it an annual event. Thanks for commenting.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

The End of an Era

Clear but Cold