You Think You Had a Bad Day !





 I just got back from fishing down in Southeast on Saturday. I stopped in down in Ketchikan to visit my son Ben and his family and had a delightful time. The first day was sunny and beautiful and we got to see some great sites. The second day was horrible, windy and rainy, but it didn't stop us from going out. We dropped in to Creek Street where renown artist Ray Troll has a shop, the Soho Coho. I bought a couple of shirts and some cards that I'll probably do a post on at a later date.  When I left Ketchikan on Saturday the weather was getting nicer and made for some pleasant flying, although I had to make three stops before we got to Anchorage, so the flight lasted about seven hours. It was not my favorite thing to do, but it sure beats what this fellow had to face. I was in Hoonah and had just left the boat when I heard a helicopter flying overhead. It sounded like it was flying kind of low, so I looked up and was startled to see an airplane dangling from a cable under the helo. I watched it land at the airport, and being a curious or nosy sort, I drove out there to check out the scene. As you can see, there was considerable damage to this plane. It has balloon tires which are made for landing on rough ground or beaches. It's my understanding that the owner landed in Glacier Bay on a beach somewhere, which I suspect is not quite legal if that's what happened. I could be wrong though. The story I heard is that when he went to take off, he ran out of beach and the end result is what you see. Not fun I'm sure. I was whining about losing out on five weeks of my fishing season because my ancient of days transmission decided to crap the bed right when the Cohos were running close by. Fellows with marginal talent fishing were making a thousand bucks a day, while I sat on the boat and waited. It was trying to say the least. The good part was that I took care of some projects on the boat that I had neglected for years because I was too busy. So, I guess something good comes from everything, although I don't know what good will come from a busted up plane, except that maybe the owner won't try landing on the beach again. In any event, when things aren't going your way, remember this picture and realize  they could always be worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

The End of an Era

Clear but Cold