Where the Rainbow Ends



 I was coming in from fishing a few days ago and was a little surprised to see this rainbow. For the past week or so we've had a lot  of sunshine. It seems like it's been much longer than that though. I've mentioned before that when the sun comes out here in the summer, it can get brutally hot. Today the electronic sign at the school stated that it was eighty one degrees. Frankly, it felt even hotter. I'm looking at the clouds in this picture and wishing I could seed them and spark a thunder storm, or at the very least an all night cloud burst. I like the sunshine as much as anyone else. When you wake up in the morning and its sunny out, it makes a person feel pretty good. The bad feelings don't start until about ten in the morning when it becomes blatantly apparent that it's going to get blazing hot. I believe sweltering is a good word. When I lived in Charleston South Carolina, I expected it to get hot and muggy, but good Lord, this is Alaska for crying out loud. I dropped up  to the post office today and ran across two other people who ventured out of the comfort of their homes. One was a lady who lives in Anchorage. Her and her husband are here on a sailboat. She echoed the very words I'd spoken not ten minutes before. She said, " When it gets above 65 degrees around here, it's unbearable." No truer words were ever spoken. Then another fellow came in who had been driving some tourists around in a van sight seeing. They may have been out looking for bears. I suspect the bears are too smart to come out into the sunshine. Can you imagine how miserable they must be, living with that three or four inch long fur in this heat? To make matters worse, they stink, which attracts biting flies. That was something the man mentioned. The horse flies were atrocious. They happen to love this hot, sunny weather. Go figure. Anyway the fellow mentioned that several of his customers were from Arizona, and they were bundled up in jackets. They asked him not to open the windows too far because they were chilly. The poor guy was a retired meat cutter and was used to working in 45 degree temps, so to say he was uncomfortable was an understatement. To make matters worse, he's growing out his hair as part of a charitable act for children's cancer, so he had a six or eight inch pony tail hanging down his back. Now that's a sacrifice. One other disadvantage of these hot sunny days is that the wind blows like all forty. I  haven't been fishing for several days because the only area open is nine miles away across open water,so that even if the seas are calm early in the morning, by evening they can get upwards of five feet. Not my cup of tea.  I don't believe the fish much care for the sun and heat either. Most of the dog salmon being caught are between thirty and forty fathoms down. I suspect the water is cooler down there, and they aren't bothered by the glare of the sun. It looks like I'll be stuck in the harbor again tomorrow- the forecast is for more of the same- hot and sunny. Yippee. Perhaps I should be a good business man and start an air conditioning business. If things keep going this way, I think I'd do pretty good. As far as where the rainbow ends I guess it ends behind the Hoonah harbor. If there was a pot of gold there I didn't see it. Probably someone else got to it before me and bought themselves a ticket to somewhere cooler.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

The End of an Era

Clear but Cold