The Cottage on Normal Hill








  Before we took off on our trip to Idaho, we checked out places to stay. We needed to light somewhere every night for ten nights while we were away. Anyone who has traveled knows that choosing a good hotel can be a bit of a crap shoot. Fortunately there are web sites that give reviews that are for the most part helpful, but staying in an three star hotel doesn't always mean what you think its going to mean. For instance, the last hotel we stayed at had two dogs staying in several rooms on our floor. I love dogs, but I don't really want them as fellow guests. As it happened, both of them at different times did what dogs do, and started barking. Of course when one sounds off, the other responds. No matter how hard you may try, it can be difficult to silence them. I always think that I'm going to enjoy traveling when I'm sitting in my home fantasizing about a trip. It's not until the trip actually starts that I remember that it's not at all what I enjoy. Let me clarify. I absolutely despise sitting around in the airports, waiting. Jan is a nervous traveler, so she always wants to be at the airport extra early, which means we get to spend more time in the lounge. Airports are notoriously noisy, and very busy, so no matter how tired you may be, it's hard to relax. Inevitably there is always a few folks who feel like their private conversation would be of great interest to those around them, so they yak on and on, and you get an insight into their lives that you really didn't want, or really care about. Then, when it's finally time to start the boarding process, you have to wait while the VIPs, first class folks, frequent fliers, those traveling with little kids, the infirm and hopefully those actively serving in the military board. I understand giving some folks a head start, it just makes sense. I can't say I've ever really cared for the whole first class thing though. It makes me feel like a second class citizen. Some airports even have a different colored rug that separates the first class people from the rest of the masses. Anyway, that's just one aspect of the whole process.Frankly, rather than boarding the first class passengers first, I think they should board us peons who will be sitting in the back of the plane. Then we don't have to pass through the gauntlet of folks who are comfortably seated in their superior seats, and wait while folks who try to pack their entire wardrobe into a bag that's supposed to fit in an overhead bin. What do I know though, I'm just a second class kind of guy. The part of the trip I really do enjoy is the driving. I wish I didn't need sleep, I could just drive all day and night, burning up expensive fossil fuels and seeing the country. As it is though, I do need sleep, so I was very pleased to discover a delightful little bed and breakfast in Lewiston run by a lady named Theresa. I found her on Air B&B. I've never used them before, and I've never stayed at a bed and breakfast, so I was glad that my first experience was such a pleasant one. Theresa is considered a Super Host, and I have to admit, I'd give her five stars myself.  The room we stayed at was down in the basement, which had been remodeled and was so tastefully done. There were two single beds, which worked out fine for Jan and I, and each bed had a quilt that her mother had made. There was a private bathroom downstairs with a heated floor, and a nice strong shower head. There was a washer and dryer that she let us use and in the morning we had several delightful breakfasts. The room was so comfortable, and the rest of her home reminded me of a ginger bread house. It was small but very tastefully furnished and everything was as neat as a pin. Had it been May, we could have sat outside on her patio and shared a glass of wine. As it was, we were there during the rainy season, but she still had daffodils and hyacinths growing, and I believe there was a flowering dogwood out front. It was a very pleasant experience, and I'm glad my first time with Air B&B was a good one. I'm not sure when we'll be traveling again, but I'll certainly consider using them. It's a much more personal experience than a night in a hotel. If you should happen to be traveling in the Lewiston area and need a comfortable, reasonably priced place to stay for a few nights, I hope you'll look up Theresa. I'm sure she'll still be in her cottage on Normal Hill, and I'm certain she'll welcome you like family.


Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience with a great hostess, Tom. We've done Air B&B a couple of times and have had mixed results. The vintage Airstream up in Northern MI was fun, the family in MO was okay. We prefer not to stay WITH people - just too much personal contact for comfort. Everyone's different. Glad you had such a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill, yes, it was good. I understand about not wanting to stay with people, but we wanted to try it at least once. I've had some less than pleasant experiences in hotels, so it's kind of a toss up. I wish I had the camper gene in me. It would be nice to just stop for the night and have your own bed with you each night. I'm not sure how that works out economically though. You may burn up any savings on hotels with extra gas, not sure. Plus, you need to find a camp ground somewhere. As I get older, I find myself less willing to try new things, so I suspect I'll never do the Winnebago experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we haven't made the jump to towing an RV behind us yet. The Vintage Airstream was parked on the back acreage of an organic pepper farm in northern MI, and we stayed in it for a week. It was....interesting. And quiet, which was very nice. We've rented several condos on VRBO, too, which have worked out nicely. I understand you cooked for your host - I'm sure she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, we cooked for the gal who is the realtor we met last year. Her son had a stroke and is wheelchair bound and she developed ALS and is also confined to a wheelchair, so we thought we'd give them a break from the usual. It was a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

The End of an Era

Clear but Cold