Gifts of Love



 Twice this past week I went to the post office and discovered boxes from long time friends. I wasn't expecting them, and I guess that's what makes them so much more special. Earlier in the week I received a package from my friends, the Pinards. We have a special bond that people often share when they've gone through hard times together. For a number of years we lived at Game Creek with other families, raising our children, working on various projects, eating together, worshipping together and laughing together. We both ended up leaving and moving to Hoonah, where we continued to socialize, frequently getting together on Saturday nights to play cards or having dinner on a Sunday evening or special occasion. When they left Hoonah we felt like a part of ourselves was missing. We still keep in touch and Jan and I were fortunate enough to share a dinner with them on their fiftieth wedding anniversary. Nonetheless, it was a surprise to receive a package from them. When I got home and opened it, low and behold, there was a picture of the house we lived in for thirty four years. Gail had painted the picture for us, and I have to say, she captured it so well. I'd seen some of her other work down through the years and was so impressed by her talent. Needless to say, we were both delighted and greatly touched by the thoughtful gift. It's got a prominent position on our end table in the living room. Then yesterday when I was checking the mail we received a box from Jim and Ladonna Dybdahl. For years Ladonna's mother, Faye Gallagher baked what she called war cake which she passed out to various people around town. When her husband, Captain Don Gallagher was alive, he used to come in to L.Kane's and have a cup of coffee and entertain us with stories, and around Christmas there was always war cake to have with our coffee. When Faye passed, Ladonna picked up the torch and continued the tradition. Year after year she's blessed us with a loaf of war cake near Christmas. When I was sending out Christmas cards, I lamented to Ladonna and Jim that I would be missing out on a delightful tradition, so it came as a complete surprise when the package arrived. I like surprises like that! As you can see it's got raisins and walnuts in it and I believe it's made with molasses and I'm not sure what all else, but having it here at the house just makes the holiday complete. I am humbled by the generosity of my friends and neighbors. I feel so honored to be remembered and to be blessed by so many genuine friends. I hope and pray that your Christmas will be a blessed one and that you will find yourself in the company of friends who mean as much to you as mine do to me. Merry Christmas, and God bless you.

Comments

  1. What an awesome picture. Yum war cake. Love you guys. Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Camille- it's been quite the Christmas season this year. We feel so blessed by all the family and our friends. We enjoyed the war cake and continue to enjoy the picture. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

The End of an Era

Clear but Cold