October Splendor










I was going to post something here several days ago, well, actually it's been longer than that, but I didn't want to just be putting anything on here. I guess that's what Twitter or tweeter or twiddle dee, twiddle dum, or tweetie bird or whatever that site is, is for. I didn't think anyone would be overly interested in, say, my shopping experience at Costco. "Well, I'm pushing a huge cart right now. It's really getting heavy. I just picked up four cans of Folgers and I'm heading for the green olives. Maybe I'll buy a jar of pickles while I'm there."


Maybe I'm fooling myself. Perhaps what I write about is less interesting than stale bread, but I do have some nice pictures now and then. If nothing else, it's fun to share the beauty of this place with those who can't be here. This past Sunday was one of those days when I can't imagine being anywhere else. It was so beautiful -sunny and warm too. I sat out on the front porch and enjoyed the sunshine and talked with one of the local fishermen for awhile. Later in the afternoon I got on the bike and rode out to the airport to get some pictures. The two top pictures are from there. In years past I shot many a duck out there. Or at least I shot at many ducks. I imagine if I had to figure it out, each duck I got was worth about forty dollars a pound if you took into consideration the number of shells I expended. It used to be a lot of fun: walking through the waist high grass with enough ammo swinging from my jacket pockets to arm a small militia, filling my waders with icy cold water, straining my eyes in the dark trying to find the road, and on those rare occasions when I actually shot something, sitting out on the front porch trying to keep from retching while I take out the entrails. Good times. I don't know why I don't do it anymore. Oh well, there's a season for everything I guess.

While I was out and around I took another picture of Ear Mountain. I don't know how many pictures I have of it. I never get tired of looking at it though. The snow has been up there off and on for about two weeks. I suspect it's here to stay now. It's always exciting when the first snow shows on top. I don't know why. It's a reminder that winter is coming and I'm not a big fan of winter in Alaska. At least we don't have to worry about gnats and misquitos right now, and it shouldn't be long before the bears start hibernating. I wonder how long I could sleep without having to eat. That would be kind of cool - nap for a few weeks, wake up, you've lost twenty pounds, have a snack and go hit the sack again for a few more weeks. Before you knew it, winter would be over and you'd be back to a healthy weight again; plus you'd save a bundle on food. Except for a few things like having a job, brushing your teeth and having to use the bathroom, it would probably work. Until I can get those minor setbacks worked out I guess I'll stick with the way things are.

Comments

  1. Love the pics dad, good story to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon- I was perusing the comments section and saw this. I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. I think it's a great idea to share with your family some of the happenings here. Let me know the blog and I'll check it out. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sick Pack

Clear but Cold

The End of an Era